Sunday, February 21, 2010

THE LITTLE MOUSE

A little mouse crept out of its hole and began to walk in the yard. It wanted to know what the world looked like. But in a few minutes it ran back trembling with fright and crept into the hole again.
- Where have you been? What's happened to you? - asked the mother mouse.
- I've been out taking a walk.
- What frightened you?
- I saw two beats in the yard. One of them had a saw on his head and spurs on his feet, and he had a hooked beak. When he saw me, he bent one leg, opened his beak and began to crow so loud that I was frightened.
- It was a cock, dear child. You must not be afraid of cocks, they are not dangerous, not at all, they don't eat mice, - said the mother.
- The other was so pretty, - said the little mouse. - It had a pretty round head and big eyes; it had a beautiful brushed moustache, soft fur and a long fluffy tail; it had soft paws with little claws, just like us! When I went out into the yard, it was lying in the sun turning over and over. Now it closed its eyes, now it opened them and licked its paw. When it saw me, it turned towards me. I was frightened and ran home.
- Oh, dear, it was a cat! The cat is our enemy, it eats mice. When you see a cat, you must run away.

No comments:

Post a Comment